Technology is the application of knowledge to the creation of new materials, tools, machines, and systems. It has played a crucial role in human society and history, changing the way people think, work, live, and communicate. It has also disrupted existing social hierarchies, caused pollution, and harmed individuals or groups.
The design of a technology must take into account many factors that cannot be ignored: physical laws, energy resources, construction or maintenance costs, safety considerations, and the need to train personnel to sell, operate, maintain, and repair it. The optimum design takes into account all of these constraints and strikes a reasonable compromise among them.
2. Education: Technology has made it easy for students to access information on any subject. They can get a vast range of learning materials from the internet, including scientific articles, journals, research papers, educational videos, tutorials/guidebooks, informational websites, online databases, and blogs of educators/authors.
3. Health: Technological advances have allowed a growing number of individuals to use computers and wireless networks for monitoring, assessing, and improving their personal health habits. Doctors may use Wi-Fi-enabled nanopills or Sci-Fi-style devices to monitor their patients’ health, and hospital systems offer online portals that allow them to rapidly access medical records and communicate with their patients.
4. Business: Businesses are becoming increasingly dependent on technology, both to create new products and services and to deliver them. The evolution of computerized systems has helped companies to streamline operations, cut costs, and increase profitability.
5. The development of technology typically involves a series of steps that must be taken to validate the underlying ideas, gain a better understanding of the process and test them against reality. It is often difficult to overcome the initial stages of this development, known as ‘death valley’, and it requires sustained effort to advance through it.
6. It can be an advantage or a disadvantage to society
One of the most positive aspects of technology is that it has the potential to improve the quality of life of the general population, in particular through its contributions to economic progress and medical improvement. However, it can also be a detriment to individual well-being through its effects on personal relationships, communication skills, and health.
8. It is a factor in the development of social hierarchy
Technology has largely contributed to the increasing economic interdependence of societies worldwide. It has also changed the way people write, compute, bank, operate businesses, conduct research, and communicate with one another.
9. It can be a positive influence on society
Technology can be an effective tool for advancing the well-being of humanity and creating a more just society. However, it can be a source of misunderstanding and conflict as well, particularly when it encroaches on individual freedoms and privacy.
10. It can be an advantage or a disadvantage for business
In the context of business, technology is an essential ingredient in any successful strategy. It can help drive revenue, eliminate wasteful inefficiencies, foster collaboration between remote employees, and enhance customer experience. It can also enable companies to compete more effectively against their competitors by creating new products and services that match consumer needs and expectations.